Some days it is hard to be thankful. When the news is dominated by shootings, the threat of war, and political anything, we are challenged to be thankful. Yet, studies show that the more thankful we are, it not only makes us a better person, but we are healthier for it.
Kid President shares 25 reasons to be thankful in this video. At first, some of them may strike you as childish. But listen to his explanation for them.
- What were your favorite things on Kid President’s list?
- How would your day be different if you named things you are thankful for? Why or why not?
- One of the things he is thankful for is forgiveness. Why do you think he included that on the list?
- Why did Kid President say “Sad is not bad?” What do you think of that?
- When is it hard to be thankful? Why?
- Read 1 Thessalonians 5:16-22. This is part of Paul’s benediction, or closing, of his letter to the Thessalonians. What do you think he is saying in these verses?
“Give thanks in all circumstances.” This is a very tall order some days.
I think too often we equate being thankful with being happy. Kid President highlights a truth that being sad is not a bad thing. We can be sad and still be thankful. I recently sat by the bedside of someone who is actively dying. While the moment was indeed sad, and at times I found myself unable to find words for the moment, I was thankful for the life lived, the family raised, and the impact it has made.
Now more than ever, we need to approach life with a thankful heart.
Lord, Give us a thankful heart. Remind us that in the midst of chaos in our world, that there is much to give thanks for. Amen.
Make your own list of things you are thankful for. Share your list with others.