Changing the bed sheets is one of those necessary chores. You watch the sheets, take the old sheets off the bed, and then put the warm, clean sheets on the bed. Putting clean sheets on the bed just right can be a change all its own. Add a curious cat, and it becomes even more challenging.
Simon’s Cat has a collection of short films on YouTube. The most recent film is called Bed Sheets.
- What are your first thoughts after watching this short film?
- What does it remind you of? Any Biblical stories come to mind?
- Read Psalm 51:1-2. What do these verses speak to you?
- How would you feel if you were putting clean sheets on the bed and there was a cat (or something else) disrupting that process?
- How does that same thing happen in your life when you strive to live cleansed?
- The sheets get dirty at the end of the short film. How does that happen in our lives?
- Read Matthew 3:1-3. How can John’s proclamation be a reminder for our daily lives?
We sin, there is no doubt about that. We all live in a shattered relationship with God. It is only through the redeeming power of Jesus’ love that will reconcile us back to right relationship with God.
Simon’s Cat reminds me of John the Baptists’ call to repent . . . . continuously. We wash the sheets and get them nice and clean. And we feel great about it. But, the sheets will get dirty again. And we have to, again, wash them.
The same is true with our souls. We seek cleansing, but that cleansing is not the final word. Naaman had to dip himself in the Jordan River seven times. Once was not enough. To be a follower of Jesus is to continuously repent and be cleansed.
Give us clean hearts, Lord. We have not loved you or our neighbors as we should. Wash us, make us whole. Forgive us, for we will sin again. Guide us to seek cleansing continuously. Amen.